05 May, 2011

Eats - Pickled Beets and Eggs

Pickled Beets and Eggs
I started with three large Mason jars and 7 medium beets.
I boiled the beets about 30 minutes, then plunged them into ice water to remove the skin, quartered them, and divided the portions between each of the jars. I also diced 1 large shallot and sliced 1/2 red onion, dividing them between the jars and adding sprigs of rosemary to each.  For the brine:
2.5 c. Cider vinegar
.5 c red wine vinegar
black pepper
salt
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
tbsp mustard ground
2 tsp allspice
Then I added equal parts of brine to each jar, capped them, and put them in the refrigerator for two days.  On the second day, I boiled 9 eggs, peeled them, and put three in each jar, capping the jars and returning them to the fridge for four more days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment