26 May, 2011

Eats - French toast made from leftover challah and topped with apples cooked in sorghum.


This was one of the first pictures I ever posted, but I didn't include a recipe.  After remaking this French toast last weekend (and getting the rave review of "Best breakfast I've ever had" from my boyfriend), I decided it was about time.

So...start with your leftover challah (Or any bread, but let's be serious - challah is the best, and worth the minimal effort to bake a loaf.  Look back at this post for the recipe).  I like my french toast to be fairly thick, so I cut about 3/4 to 1 inch thick slices.

For your batter:

4 eggs
2/3 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
A few teaspoons each of cinnamon and nutmeg

Using a fork, combine the ingredients in a pie pan or other low dish.

Prepare a pan with 3 tablespoons oil (again, canola is the healthiest).  Once hot, dip your first piece of bread for a few seconds on each side then quickly transfer to the pan.  Cook a few minutes until the bottom side is crispy and brown, then flip and repeat.  Serve with your choice of fruit, maple syrup, powdered sugar, you name it.  Personally, I'm a fan of apples and sorghum (pears and sorghum is also super delicious).

For the apples:

Prepare a small saucepan with two tablespoons of butter.  Add two sliced granny smith apples.  Place a lid on the pan until the apples start to soften, then add a tablespoon of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon, leaving the apples to cook without the lid until they look slightly browned.

Serve the French toast with a healthy portion of apples and a few tablespoons of sorghum.

No comments:

Post a Comment