08 May, 2011

Eats - Beets and Beet Greens (Cooking with whiskey)

Great with the sweet potato
In case it isn’t obvious by now, I like beets. A lot. They’re beautiful, delicious, healthy, and versatile. Even their greens are beautiful, delicious, healthy, and versatile. When sold alone, beet greens are known as Swiss Chard. An aside – a variety of Swiss Chard, called Rainbow Chard, is particularly lovely. As the name implies, it varies in color from yellow to green to pink, and maintains its color through cooking, adding flair to dishes.
Alright. On to the recipe at hand.

I had two beets leftover from the pickled beets and eggs (previous post), so I decided to use them with the greens of one bunch of beets (as sold). The beets were boiled and peeled already, so they just needed a bit more cooking.
I started with a couple tablespoons of olive oil in the pan, adding a quarter of an onion, cut into slivers, a third of a shallot, and a large clove of garlic. After two minutes, I added two beets cut in sixths, rosemary, black pepper, and salt. I cooked the beets an additional five minutes, then added the greens, cut into manageable pieces, a splash of tamari, and a few tablespoons of whiskey. Once the greens have wilted, it’s ready.
My brother’s review: “It’s really damn good.”



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous06 May, 2011

    Oh, this is my absolute favorite! wherefore the whiskey, anon . . .

    ReplyDelete