13 February, 2011

Responses! - Real potato pancakes and a great use for ice cube trays OR my aunts know their s#*t

My family is full of wonderful cooks, so it's nice to receive suggestions and recipes from my aunts. One of my aunts sent me the following recipe for potato latkes after my "I made up potato pancakes" post. I'll make them soon, and let y'all know how they turn out.


REAL POTATO PANCAKES (Latkes)
Care of Corbis

Take two or three russet potatoes and grate them coarsely, place in a bowl.  The best tool for this is a mandoline, peel or not as you choose.  I don't think it makes any difference.
Salt & pepper well, add a small finely chopped onion and 3 - 4 tablespoons flour.   DO NOT ADD EGG, MAKES THEM TOUGH!  Toss all together lightly  but  well, preferably with a large open-tined fork, you do not want to STIR, heat your griddle until hot, add a small amount of oil and spread around with your spatula.  Put a blob of potato mixture about the size of a golf ball on the griddle and spread/mash it out until about 1/4 - 1/2" thick.  Leave on one side until browned, turn and brown the other side.
Serve with applesauce, sour cream, or gravy.  I prefer gravy.  Great with any kind of roast or pot roast.

(And in my search for a photo to "borrow" from the internet, I saw one with sweet potato latkes. I probably need to try those, too.)

From another aunt - Good things to freeze in ice cube trays:

Care of Ready Made
Chicken stock

Tomato paste
Pureed chipotle peppers
Pesto

Or anything you just need a little of and end up throwing the rest out.  Put them in a baggie once they’re frozen and pull out as needed!

My addition - I usually end up making way too much of a stir fry or dipping sauce. This would be a good way to keep them around, too.

**A few more additions (from the latke aunt):
Nutmeg in the latkes
And for the freezing - some especially tasty gravy or egg whites (that's a great suggestion, I frequently have those left over). If you don't use ice cube trays, try freezing in a ziploc bag flat, breaking off as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment