15 September, 2011

Eats - Eggs in Purgatory (Uova in Purgatorio)

Eggs in Purgatory
The other night we had friends over for spaghetti and meatballs, and ended up with a small amount of meaty, mushroomy tomato sauce left over.  So Saturday morning I turned it into Eggs in Purgatory, a traditional and delicious Italian peasant dish.

All you have to do is put the sauce in a skillet, heat it on medium high heat until it bubbles, then crack however many eggs you plan on eating into it (careful not to break the yolk), and let the eggs poach in the sauce.  As they poach, the tomato sauce will start to cook down, and the whole thing looks gorgeous and rustic.  I sprinkled some grated Parmesan on top when I served it.  Yum.

My tomato sauce recipe will follow in a day or two, for anyone who is interested.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is gorgeous. And I love your tablecloth.

    Bianca makes fried eggs and serves them on leftover pizza. Also delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...eggs on pizza.... Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete