11 April, 2011

Eats - Spicy Lentils with Yogurt and Cinnamon Raisin Rice

The spicy lentils are from a recipe I've adapted from the Hot Spicy Lentils recipe in the Very Vegetarian Cookbook.
Spicy Lentils and Yogurt and Cinnamon Raisin Rice, Fresh Spinach, and Pitta with "Turkish Salad."
The recipe calls for 
3/4 cup red lentils (I did not have red lentils, I used plain ol' lentils)
4 tsp polyunsaturated oil (I used canola oil)
1 red onion (I used 3/4 of a white onion)
2 garlic cloves (I used 5)
1/4 tsp ground cumin (I used more like 1 tsp)
1/4 tsp ground coriander
(and I add a few tsp of curry powder as well)
1 red chile (I used 2 jalapeƱos)
3 3/4 cups vegetable broth
Juice and grated rind of 1 lime (I don't do this)
Ground black pepper

The recipe continues (and I follow most of these directions):
Lentils cooking
Wash the lentils in 2 to 3 changes of water. Drain and reserve. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic, and spices and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the lentils and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more.
The lentils finishing up
Add the chile and the broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 35 minutes until the lentils are soft. Stir in the lime juice and rind (I don't do this). Season well and serve.
The rice
For the rice...Boil 2 cups water, then add one cup basmati rice, return to a boil, then simmer until the water is nearly absorbed. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 cup raisins. Allow the remaining water to absorb, and the rice is ready.

Serve the lentils over the rice with plain yogurt on the side.


1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite dishes. Easy, healthy, delicious.

    ReplyDelete