04 March, 2011

Eats - Fried daikon root with mushroom gravy, swordfish, and sweet potato

I first marinated the swordfish for about 30 minutes in orange juice and tamari, with a couple cloves of garlic rubbed into it.
Fried daikon root with mushroom gravy, grilled swordfish, and baked sweet potato
I sliced the daikon root, heated a few tablespoons of canola oil in a pan, and fried the daikon root for about 5 minutes per side, dusting it with paprika.
Frying the daikon root
Once the daikon root was fried, I left it on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil.

Drying the daikon root
I cooked the swordfish in olive oil for about 2-3 minutes per side, adding cayenne pepper and black pepper as it cooked.
Grilling the swordfish
As soon as I used up all of the portobellos from my last purchase, I bought more mushrooms....But anyway, I thought the daikon root would be pretty good with some mushroom gravy (I was right).  I sauteed a few tablespoons of onions in butter, then used 2 tbsps (it was too much, but it's what I did) of flour to make a roux.  Next, I added a couple cloves of garlic, 3 baby portobellos, a few teaspoons of tamari, 1/4 cup of vegetable broth, and 2-3 tablespoons of milk, stirring frequently until hot and thick (It was too thick in this case due to too much flour.)
Mushroom gravy
During all of this, I had been baking a small sweet potato, which I served with butter, salt, and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment