30 March, 2012

Eats - Corn Bread

But anyway, my brother and his girlfriend came over for dinner, and they've not been eating gluten.  We made beef stew, (In the pressure cooker we're still learning to use.  It was delicious.) and I wanted to have corn bread with it.  I figured that wouldn't be so hard to do without gluten.  But try finding a recipe that doesn't have 4-5 weird flours in it.  Or coconut butter.  And I DO have a lot of weird flours and grains in my pantry (I should really show a picture of my newly reorganized pantry.  It's cute.)

Anyway...I came up with something.  It does have one weird flour, but only spelt.  That's pretty easy to come by.  After some research, I was led astray.  Apparently it's not completely gluten free, but has a low amount of more digestible gluten, and so is sometimes ok for people with allergies, but not people with celiac disease.  I'll keep trying.



Preheat the oven to 350 deg. F.  Take a 9 inch round or square cake pan, spray it or butter it.

Put the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet in another.  Mix them separately, and then add them all together and stir until you have a nice consistency that can be poured into your cake pan.

Dry Ingredients:
2 cups spelt flour
1 cup polenta (very coarsely ground corn meal)
1/2 cup regular corn meal
3 teaspoons baking powder

Wet Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups milk
2 large eggs
3 TBSP sorghum
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Bake for 25 minutes.

**I'm really proud of myself for this one.  Baking without directions is not a strong point, and I totally made this up.  The texture was fantastic.  I've increased the sorghum for the recipe, because the original bread was a bit bland.  We ate it with honey on it, though, and that fixed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment